Date
OpenSDS Technical Meeting Minutes - May 16, 2019

Xing Yang

Thanks everyone for attending today's meeting.  Here are the meeting minutes.

Please note that next week's meeting will be cancelled due to KubeCon.

Agenda/Notes:

  • Milestone-3 release is cut.

  • Development status

    • HPE Nimble driver is submitted

    • Fujitsu driver: Hiroki-san said driver implementation is complete. He is getting approval to submit the driver upstream. Need a couple of weeks.

      • Planned Capri GA date is mid June, a month away.  So please try to submit it as soon as possible,

    • NVMeoF CSI support: https://github.com/opensds/nbp/pull/215

      • Qiaowei: Please update the driver now that m-3 of hotpot is cut

      • Leon: Please follow up with Qiaowei

    • Thin OpenSDS:

    • Object lifecycle

      • Default storage tier PR and Put/Get/Delete API changes are merged

      • Dashboard integration is done

      • TODO: user defined storage tier and restore Glacier

    • Installer

    • Automation & Orchestration

    • File share

      • Access API, dock and controller for file share PRs are merged

      • NFS driver is code complete.  Need more testing. https://github.com/opensds/opensds/pull/741

      • CLI is done and review in progress

      • Dashboard integration is WIP

      • E2E testing and demo (WIP)

    • Telemetry

      • Many telemetry PRs have been merged, including APIs and controller changes.

      • Dashboard integration (WIP)

      • Installer (WIP)

    • Anomaly Detection

      • Read data from mysql database and run models is done

      • Data Parser is WIP

      • Prakash, Naju, and Jiajun have been working on collecting metrics and running models (WIP)

      • TODO: Data Generator

      • TODO: Installer

  • Capri planning

https://releases.opensds.io/capri/index.html

Thanks,
Xing

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 12:26 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting tomorrow.

Time: May 16, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or May 17, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

OpenSDS Technical Meeting Reminder

Xing Yang

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting tomorrow.

Time: May 16, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or May 17, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

OpenSDS Technical Meeting Minutes - May 7, 2019

Xing Yang

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.

Agenda/Notes:

  • Capri milestone 3 is this week.

  • Development update

    • Ceph Metrics driver

      • [Click2Cloud]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zD_jb2DEkuF2kp4WB-jWM01ex26fR6jN/view?usp=sharing

      • [Prakash] Issue and approach taken for CEPH metrics driver

      • Problem: The collect method in Ceph exporter cannot be used directly because it sends data directly to Prometheus. There’s “set” but no “get”.

      • Workaround: We need to write a method similar to collect in our Metrics driver for us to collect data.

      • Click2Cloud: target to complete by end of May.

    • [Click2Cloud] Thin OpenSDS: review in progress

    • [Click2Cloud] Helm install with Ceph: please check repo and rebase.

    • [Prakash/Naju] Telemetry: Post metrics PR will be updated soon. Will address volume instance ID issue and move to separate dock next.

    • [Shufang/Neelam] Object lifecycle: PRs being reviewed. Work done on default storage tiers and get/put APIs. Next work on user-defined storage tier and recovery API.

    • [Shruthi/Pravin] File share: PRs on file share and snapshot basic APIs are merged. PRs on profiles, etc. are in review.  PRs on access APIs and default NFS driver will be submitted soon.

    • [Xulin/Himanshu/Ashit] Automation & orchestration: Bucket migration workflow is done. Service listing and execution API is done. Provisioning workflow is partially done. PRs on service definition and other actions such as snapshot, extend are being reviewed.

    • [Anvith] Dashboard: integration and testing in progress

    • [Jiajun] Anomaly detection: Training/Prediction service for Gaussian and DBSCAN is done. Work on reading from mysql database next. Prakash/Naju will help with Data Generator and collect data from LVM metrics driver.

    • NVMeoF CSI support: PR submitted but depending on hotpot release to pass CI.

    • PRs need attention: Many PRs need to be reviewed.

  • Design discussions

    • [Click2Cloud] Interested in Block Storage migration. Will discuss in the next meeting.

  • Capri planning

https://releases.opensds.io/capri/index.html

  • Open discussions

Thanks,
Xing

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 12:10 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting on Tuesday.

Time: 4:00pm-5:00pm UTC (9:00am-10:00am PT or 12:00pm-1:00pm ET)

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

OpenSDS Technical Meeting Minutes - May 2, 2019

Xing Yang

Thank you for attending today's meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.

Agenda/Notes:

  • Capri milestone 3: the week of 5/6/19 to 5/10/19. Feature code needs to be merged.

  • Design reviews

    • [Xulin/Ashit] Orchestration workflow - Ashit gave a demo on Migrate Bucket workflow. He showed the service registration yaml file for migrate bucket and provision volume. Currently it is not customizable. After m-3, he will work on customizing workflows.

  • Development status

    • [Click2Cloud] Ceph Metrics driver - Use existing Ceph exporter for Prometheus. Don’t rewrite the code.  Write a metrics driver that uses the Ceph exporter. Our installer will install the Ceph exporter with Prometheus. The requirement is the exporter must be running for our Metrics driver to get data.

    • [Click2Cloud] Thin OpenSDS - PR submitted and in review.

    • [Prakash/Naju] Telemetry - Prakash will submit a new PR on Post and CollectMetrics and close the existing one because parts of the PR have already been merged in other PRs. Remaining work: installer and end-to-end testing.

    • [Shufang/Neelam] Object lifecycle - Restore API for Glacier not planned by m-3. Code is done using Storage Class name now.  Tier will be added later. Dashboard code WIP.

    • [Shruthi/Pravin] File share - API code merged. NFS driver using LVM (volume group will be created manually now and automated as part of install later). Dashboard WIP.

    • [Xulin/Himanshu/Ashit] Automation & orchestration - PRs being reviewed. More testing.

    • [Jiajun] Anomaly detection - Jerry is working on separating code for training and prediction. Lots of work remaining. Prakash/Naju will help with Data Generator.

    • Dashboard - Anvith is trying to finish dashboard work. Because it is dependent on feature completion, it is hard to finish everything by m-3.

    • PRs need attention - Many PRs need to be reviewed and merged next week.

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 9:18 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting tomorrow.

Time: May 2, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or May 3, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

OpenSDS Technical Meeting Reminder

Xing Yang

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting tomorrow.

Time: May 2, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or May 3, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

Re: OpenSDS Technical Meeting Reminder

Xing Yang

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting.  Here are the meeting minutes.

Agenda/Notes:

  • Capri milestone 3: the week of 5/6/19 to 5/10/19. Feature code needs to be merged.

  • Development update

    • Hackathon updates - Click2Cloud held an OpenSDS Hackathon in response to the Open Source Hackathon in Shenzhen and worked on a number of issues/PRs.

    • Leon gave an update on Open Source Hackathon in Shenzhen: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/9th-opensource-hackathon-opensds

    • Use cases and Proposed Architecture for Ceph volume level replication is now open for comments and suggestions -Click2Cloud

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jBJt8lfR-GmXKxBkZHO-MULmPGEBQBiQEV3YJtR7e8g/edit?usp=sharing

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 4:53 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting on Tuesday.

Time: 4:00pm-5:00pm UTC (9:00am-10:00am PT or 12:00pm-1:00pm ET)

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

OpenSDS Technical Meeting Minutes - April 18, 2019

Xing Yang

Thanks everyone for attending today's technical meeting.  Here are the meeting minutes.

Agenda/Notes:

  • Design reviews

    • [Leon] Leon discussed about the DNS resolution proposal in Hotpot and gave a demo. Once merged, it will impact other work in Hotpot, including Fileshare and Metrics work.  Please review the PRs and provide comments.

    • Fileshare design:

      • https://github.com/opensds/design-specs/pull/27

      • Hiroki-san has been reviewing the Fileshare design spec and found out that protocol is specified in both create file share request directly and in the profile. We will remove protocol from create file share and keep it only in the profile. Thanks!

    • Multi-attach design:

      • https://github.com/opensds/design-specs/pull/26

      • Haibo has question on whether multiAttach should be in profiles. It should be in profiles. Not every driver supports multiAttach. Having it in profiles allows scheduler to choose a backend that can support it. The current proposal adds it to customProperties. If anyone has other suggestions, please provide feedback in the PR.

    • Object Lifecycle management:

      • https://github.com/opensds/design-specs/pull/24

      • Discussed about the storage classes/tiers in Object Lifecycle management with Shufang. In Capri, we only support object so we know what object store backends are available. In the future when lifecycle management involves migrating from on-premise block/file storage to object store in the cloud, user will need to configure the storage tiers themselves. So we need to make storage tier configuration flexible for users.  Shufang has concerns about S3 compatibility if we use non-S3 storage class names. Will have follow up discussions later.

      • Kei has a question on whether OpenSDS has knowledge of the redundancy parameter in Azure Blob (user needs to configure the redundancy parameter in Azure Blob, while in AWS S3 there is a default redundancy of 3).  OpenSDS does not have knowledge of the redundancy parameter because users need to configure Azure Blob first and then register it with OpenSDS. OpenSDS stores metadata, but the real data is stored in Azure.

  • Development status

    • Simran from Click2Cloud said they are having a Hackathon in response to the Hackathon in Shenzhen, China.  Please add issues/PRs to the following etherpad.

    • 2019 China Open Source Hacking Conference is underway in Shenzhen. Here is the etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/9th-opensource-hackathon-opensds. Please join by reporting issues, fixing bugs, and reviewing PRs...

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 8:19 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting.

Time: Apr. 18, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or Apr 19, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

OpenSDS Technical Meeting Reminder

Xing Yang

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting.

Time: Apr. 18, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or Apr 19, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

Re: Japan OpenSDS Leadership Meeting 4/15 14:00 @Yahoo Japan

Steven Tan

Guys

We have almost 60 participants as of today, thank you all for helping to push this.

Here’s the draft agenda for the Leadership meeting. Is there anything else we should discuss at the meeting?

1. Updates and Project rebranding - 10mins
2. Round table updates 5mins each (requirements, solutions and other things you would like to share)
- Yahoo Japan
- Toyota
- NTT Comms
- GMO Pepebo
- IIJ
- Sakura Internet
- Fujitsu
- Huawei
3. Capri Release and Test Plans Discussion - 30mins
4. Sub-Projects and OpenSDS Ready Plans Discussions 30mins
5. OpenSDS Mini Summit Tokyo Planning -15mins
6. Wrapup

Thanks

Steven Tan
VP & CTO, Cloud Storage Solution
Chair of OpenSDS TSC
2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA95050

From: Lawrence Lai<lawrence.lai@...>
To: Yuji Yazawa<yazawa@...>;Shinya Tsunematsu<tsunematsu@...>;Michitaka Terada<terada-m@...>;Kei Kusunoki<kei.kusunoki@...>;Yusuke Sato<yuussato@...>;Tomoko Kondo<tomoko.kondo@g.softbank.co.jp>;hamano.shinya<hamano.shinya@...>;長谷川誠<hasegawa_makoto@...>;N Enomoto<n-enomoto@...>;Kimura, Hiroki<kimura.hiroki@...>
Cc: Liumingshun<liumingshun@...>;Steven Tan<Steven.Tan@...>;'OpenSDS-Japan-Community<OpenSDS-Japan-Community@...>
Subject: RE: Japan OpenSDS Leadership Meeting 4/15 14:00 @Yahoo Japan
Time: 2019-04-09 15:04:24

Hi all,

You should have received the meeting invitation already. Just accept if you can come.

BTW, LF Japan is promoting  OpenSDS MeetUp today on their FB page. Please share it on FB to spread the words.  We need more participants!

https://www.facebook.com/245414068802251/posts/2465846076759028?sfns=mo

Thanks.

Larry

Date: March

Draft Agenda)
Intro 5min
OpenSDS Update Info Steven or Larry? 30min Bali Demo 20min YahooJapan Panel Session about key-motivation and Use-case 50min
        ToyotaITC Yazawa-san
        IIJ  Terada-san
        GMO Tsunematsu-san
        Fujitsu Hamano-san
Japan EUAC Update, Requirements, Target/Goal TBD 15 min Some Party? 1hour

Regards,

---

--

Yuji Yazawa
Principal Architect / Group Leader, Toyota ITC

yazawa@...

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized use, printing, copying, disclosure, dissemination of or reliance upon this communication by persons other than the intended recipient may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think that you have received this email message in error, please reply to the sender and delete this email promptly. Thank you for your cooperation.

本メールは機密事項が含まれている場合があります。取り扱いにはご配慮いただくとともに転送流用はご遠慮ください。またもし、誤って配送された場合には、どうかお知らせいただくとともに、このメールを消去いただくようにお願いいたします。ご協力にお礼を申し上げます。

--
Yuji Yazawa
Principal Architect / Group Leader, Toyota ITC

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized use, printing, copying, disclosure, dissemination of or reliance upon this communication by persons other than the intended recipient may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think that you have received this email message in error, please reply to the sender and delete this email promptly. Thank you for your cooperation.

本メールは機密事項が含まれている場合があります。取り扱いにはご配慮いただくとともに転送・流用はご遠慮ください。またもし、誤って配送された場合には、どうかお知らせいただくとともに、このメールを消去いただくようにお願いいたします。ご協力にお礼を申し上げます。

Re: jAPAN MEETUP #2