Date   
Unique Identifier for Volume in OpenSDS

Najmudheen
 

Hi All,

As discussed in today’s community meeting, I would like to give more clarity on why OpenSDS need to fetch unique identifier for a volume from backend storage and attach this with OpenSDS volume spec.

 

To explain the problem I am taking the below VMware user scenario.

User scenario

l  User created a volume and attached it to VMware ESX through storage plugin.

l  Attached volume will appear as vDisk (virtual) in VMware ESX and available for usage.

l  User wants to take a backup (snapshot of volume) of this disk through OpenSDS Storage Plugin.

Problem??

There is no direct way to identify the backing volume corresponds to this vDisk.

l  The id created by OpenSDS is only specific to OpenSDS and not used by storage backend for creating unique identifier

l  Storage backend allocates a unique ID ( NAA/EUI/FC_WWN) for the volume.

l  VMware gets unique ID allocated by storage backend and use this id for vDisk . ( they use SCSI INQ to get metadata about the LUN)

How plugin will identify the backing volume of this vDisk to trigger createSnaphot API on this volume?

 

Solution

Fetch unique identifier for volumes allocated by backed storage and use it as a property of volume in OpenSDS.

GET volume API should accept unique identifier property as a filter and return the volume.

Plugin can use OpenSDS volume unique identifier to match vDisk Id.

 

 

image.png

The detailed design spec can be seen in this PR https://github.com/OpenSDS/design-specs/pull/47

Note: The above user scenario and problem can also applicable while integrating with other management Platforms.

Thanks,

Naju.

[Meeting Minutes] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - September 20 UTC 1AM (zoom id : 229373941)

Sanil Kumar
 

Dear Friends,
Thank you for joining the OpenSDS Technical meeting today.
Please find the meeting summary below. Detailed notes available at : http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting 
  • Design reviews

    • [VMWare Plugin] Design updates and impact of LUN identification on hotpot - Naju

      • Discussed on Unique identifier field addition and impacts

      • Impacts on the volume api, backend drivers and DB schema and updates

      • Further discussions/review planned.

    • [Documentation] Update on Docs and Release version handling with Hugo - Anvith
      • Documentation updates discussed. The refactored documentation is planned to make it live by next week

  • Development issues / updates

    • Abort Migration Implementation - Roshan, Click2Cloud

      • Provided a detailed view of the state machines. It looks better currently with specific handling of states

      • The PR will be raised and further review can happen there. There some open comments to discuss

  • Open Discussions

    • Welcomed Wipro Developers to the meeting (Shanu and Samiran started working with VMWare Feature)

Agenda & Meeting details at http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting 
Please add any topics of your interests there. Thanks
Note: Due to zoom connectivity issue, chinese members could not attend today's call.
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 12:54 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Sep 20, 2019 01:00 AM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:

[Please free to suggest topics]

Note: Today we noted that members from china experiencing some issues with zoom connectivity. Please try to connect. We will observe and discuss to find some alternate options soon, if the issue continues.

Additional Info on the meeting:
OpenSDS Project is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: [OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Friday Biweekly 1am to 2am UTC
Time: Sep 20, 2019 01:00 AM Universal Time UTC
        Every 2 weeks on Fri, until Dec 27, 2019, 8 occurrence(s)
        Sep 20, 2019 01:00 AM
        Oct 4, 2019 01:00 AM
        Oct 18, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 1, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 15, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 29, 2019 01:00 AM
        Dec 13, 2019 01:00 AM
        Dec 27, 2019 01:00 AM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/v5YkdO6rpz8re4QNiemevZQdNHp8ymdSfw/ics?icsToken=7c907caf5fa3d1b447a58f41d1274a91af82d89500405f878a5ca2a5c9e42231

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/229373941

One tap mobile
+19294362866,,229373941# US (New York)
+16699006833,,229373941# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 229 373 941
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 7:56 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for attending the meeting today.
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
  • Design reviews

    • [OpenEBS-OpenSDS Integration] Initial Architecture Discussion - Kiran, OpenEBS

      • Introduction to OpenEBS (CAS)

      • OpenEBS as a north bound above OpenSDS CSI plugin and utilize opensds to connects heterogeneous storage backends

      • Enables to connect multiple backend storage from different vendors

      • Single node setup with opensds has been tested

      • NDM can provide storage infrastructure provisioning automation - this can be another usecase/value

      • Amit & Harshita can give a demo in the next call

      • Slide link attached.

    • [Multicloud] - Design Update - ChinaUnicom/Fanny/Ashit

    • Documentation PoC based on Hugo - Anvith (follow up of last meeting)

      • Anvith provided the comparison between Hugo and readthedocs

      • Hugo has additional features and easy to get collaborative contributions for documentation, less build time, responsive pages, build preview for PRs, support for .md file directly (complete kubernetes website is in hugo)

      • Demo of Hugo setup with the new documentation.

      • Kiran mentioned about docs.rs (multiple version release easier here)

      • For Hugo, we may need to create a process to handle multiple versions of docs (Anvith to check and confirm)


  • Development issues

    • VMWare LUN Identification - Naju

      • Naju was not available.

      • However Kiran was mentioning, NDM from OpenEBS can help this issue.

      • Needs to discuss further.


Agenda & Meeting details at http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting 
Please add any topics of your interests there. Thanks
Note: Due to zoom connectivity issue, chinese members could not attend today's call.
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"



On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:29 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:

You can start using short-link for our document : http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting

[Please free to suggest topics]

Note: Today we noted that members from china experiencing some issues with zoom connectivity. Please try to connect. We will observe and discuss to find some alternate options soon, if the issue continues.

Additional Information on the meeting:
OpenSDS Project is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: [OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Tuesday Biweekly 1pm to 2pm UTC
Time: Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
        Every 2 weeks on Tue, until Dec 31, 2019, 9 occurrence(s)
        Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM
        Sep 24, 2019 01:00 PM
        Oct 8, 2019 01:00 PM
        Oct 22, 2019 01:00 PM
        Nov 5, 2019 01:00 PM
        Nov 19, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 3, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 17, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 31, 2019 01:00 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 8:08 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for attending the meeting today.
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • Design reviews

    • [Multi cloud-Migration : Click2Cloud] Demo for Progress feature and Updates on the MultiCloud Abort Features
      • Showed the demo for progress on multpart migration
      • Discussed on the abort, failed rollback, cost of rollback, giving option to user..
      • Action : Design to be updated with these scenarios and consider.
    • [DocRefactor : Joseph] Documentation Refactoring Design
  • Open discussions
    • [HelpNeeded] Supporting more backend storages
      • We need to have popular drivers support
      • Anyone can contribute/link, please contact sanil (skdsanil@... or slack) Thanks.
      • Simran from C2C mentioned that, they have some links or team can help
    • [HelpNeeded] VMware plugin Testing
      • Naju provided a quick update and shared the issues of VMWare LUN identification issue
      • Support for testing and issue solution related points will be sent out in the mailing list.

    The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)

  • Note: There is a section for topic suggestion for future meetings. Please add your requests.

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • [MultiCloud : ChinaUnicom(yu zou)/Fanny/Ashit ] Multicloud Design Refactoring - Key updates

    • What is new, architecture and how we plan to go about

    • Integration of YIG (YIG Ceph S3 added! And other features from YIG to multicloud)

    • We keep the current ceph s3 along with new yig ceph s3. User has the option to choose.

    • YIG team will merge the updated code to Gelato/Multicloud

    • Action : YIG features and new features can be segregated; table for support from different clouds and backend can be prepared.

    • Currently support TiDB first. 

    • [HelpNeeded] for MongoDB

    • [HelpNeeded]GCP Adapter can be refactored

    • IBM Cloud support - Need to check. Check with Rakesh.

    • DB Adapter separation should consider the microservice architecture. The communication between microservice is grpc

    • Action : Architecture diagram update and add to the existing design doc

  • The slides presented today is available at
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsulzsDrmwgAtme8MIO2LIoAIuAbsbMO/view?usp=sharing 
  • The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Aug 27, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:
[Please free to suggest topics]


Additional info:
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.


Agenda/Notes:

  • Design reviews

    • [Click2Cloud] Multi-Cloud Project enhancement (Abort Migration)

      • Click2Cloud discussed about Abort Migration feature.

      • Design is described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SoarTRLJTWuiiYoZ9IjfuE4TS2UA_G2T/view?usp=sharing

      • Approach 1 proposes to add an AbortMigration flag.

      • Status of each object should be tracked.  Roll back should happen if aborted.

      • Source object should not be deleted until all objects are migrated. This way it is easier to roll back.

      • Need a state machine to keep track of object status.

      • Aborted and Failed can share lots of common code path.

      • Consider using Redis for caching when it is added with YIG integration.

  • Development update

    • [Naju and Himanshu)] Naju gave an update on VMware vSphere Web Client integration.  Plugin will be named to “OpenSDS Storage Plugin”. Implemented for block storage create/attach operation.  Tested on LVM. Third party storage support can be added. Himanshu gave a demo to show how the plugin works.

    • Does this work with Hotpot multi-dock (one end-point)?  In theory it should work. Will need to verify. Also Hotpot multi-dock itself has bugs that need to be ironed out first.

    • Design spec will be updated.

  • Note: As mentioned in the previous meeting, Tuesday’s meetings will be rescheduled to 1:00pm-2:00pm UTC (6:00am-7:00am PT or 9:00am-10:00am ET).  Sanil will send out a new meeting invite.


Thanks,
Xing



On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting this week.

Time: August 21, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or August 22, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)


Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941


Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

Re: Opensds - salt installer - an introduction

Sanil Kumar
 

Thank you very much Noel. It really helps. 
We have initiated some integration work with OpenEBS team for certain features with OpenSDS for mutual benefits. Getting to salt installer will be very helpful.
OpenEBS team is working on an initial demo. They will be presenting it in the next tuesday technical community meeting. Please do join and we could have a discussion on your thoughts as well.
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 4:32 PM Noel MacLochlainn <noel.mcloughlin@...> wrote:
Hi Team,

I would like to  share information on the current position and status of the `Opensds-installer/salt` module of which I’m a maintainer.  The current situation of OpenSDS/Salt can be summarized as follows-

* README: https://github.com/opensds/opensds-installer/tree/master/salt and supports Capri release.

* opensds/salt reuses upstream components from https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/opensds-formula and https://github.com/saltstack-formulas *religiously*.  For this reason you will not see many PR’s being opened on OpenSDS code repository by me.

 * The key *design goal* and differentiator is that opensds/salt will *support as many GNU/Linux and FreeBSD distributions as possible*.

* This installer is an experiment!! The officially supported OpenSDS installers are `opensds-installer/helm` and `opensds-installer/ansible` to be primary supported options.

To further understand how OpenSDS/Salt evolves you need to be aware that an upstream community called Saltstack-formulas, which I am a member, is evolving the building blocks necessary and useful for development of the OpenSDS/Salt installer.  Most development work  happens upstream at https://github.com/saltstack-formulas and when a component matures I integrate this with OpenSDS/salt module.  The following is an incomplete list of upstream modules used for OpenSDS/Salt.

- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/kubernetes-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/lvm-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/iscsi-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/packages-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/devstack-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/docker-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/grafana-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/prometheus-formula

My current focus (upstream) is to get some new components ready for integration with OpenSDS/Salt module.  This is the *work in progress*.
- DeepSea: https://github.com/SUSE/DeepSea#deepsea (alternative to ansible-ceph)
- OpenEBS
- Enhanced kubernetes formula
- Enhanced iscsi formula (SCST, FCOE, ISER, etc)

For the background to OpenSDS/Salt see the slides presented to OpenSDS Tech Meeting on September 2018.
https://github.com/noelmcloughlin/shared/blob/master/opensds-installer-salt-sept2018.pdf

There maybe a possibility to align a future OpenSDS-Installer component across provisioning technologies in some smart manner.  It is something I'm thinking about - its hard to do but not impossible.

Feedback is welcomed.

Opensds - salt installer - an introduction

Noel MacLochlainn
 

Hi Team,

I would like to  share information on the current position and status of the `Opensds-installer/salt` module of which I’m a maintainer.  The current situation of OpenSDS/Salt can be summarized as follows-

* README: https://github.com/opensds/opensds-installer/tree/master/salt and supports Capri release.

* opensds/salt reuses upstream components from https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/opensds-formula and https://github.com/saltstack-formulas *religiously*.  For this reason you will not see many PR’s being opened on OpenSDS code repository by me.

 * The key *design goal* and differentiator is that opensds/salt will *support as many GNU/Linux and FreeBSD distributions as possible*.

* This installer is an experiment!! The officially supported OpenSDS installers are `opensds-installer/helm` and `opensds-installer/ansible` to be primary supported options.

To further understand how OpenSDS/Salt evolves you need to be aware that an upstream community called Saltstack-formulas, which I am a member, is evolving the building blocks necessary and useful for development of the OpenSDS/Salt installer.  Most development work  happens upstream at https://github.com/saltstack-formulas and when a component matures I integrate this with OpenSDS/salt module.  The following is an incomplete list of upstream modules used for OpenSDS/Salt.

- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/kubernetes-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/lvm-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/iscsi-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/packages-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/devstack-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/docker-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/grafana-formula
- https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/prometheus-formula

My current focus (upstream) is to get some new components ready for integration with OpenSDS/Salt module.  This is the *work in progress*.
- DeepSea: https://github.com/SUSE/DeepSea#deepsea (alternative to ansible-ceph)
- OpenEBS
- Enhanced kubernetes formula
- Enhanced iscsi formula (SCST, FCOE, ISER, etc)

For the background to OpenSDS/Salt see the slides presented to OpenSDS Tech Meeting on September 2018.
https://github.com/noelmcloughlin/shared/blob/master/opensds-installer-salt-sept2018.pdf

There maybe a possibility to align a future OpenSDS-Installer component across provisioning technologies in some smart manner.  It is something I'm thinking about - its hard to do but not impossible.

Feedback is welcomed.

Invitation: [OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Friday Biweekly 1a... @ Every 2 weeks from 6:30am to 7:30am on Friday from Fri Sep 20 to Fri Dec 27 (IST) (opensds-tech-discuss@lists.opensds.io)

Sanil Kumar
 

You have been invited to the following event.

[OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Friday Biweekly 1am to 2am UTC

When
Every 2 weeks from 6:30am to 7:30am on Friday from Fri Sep 20 to Fri Dec 27 India Standard Time - Kolkata
Where
https://zoom.us/j/229373941 (map)
Calendar
opensds-tech-discuss@...
Who
skdsanil@... - organizer
opensds-tech-discuss@...
OpenSDS Technical Meeting 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting

One tap mobile
+19294362866,,229373941# US (New York)
+16699006833,,229373941# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 229 373 941
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

Going (opensds-tech-discuss@...)?   All events in this series:   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account opensds-tech-discuss@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer and be added to the guest list, or invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or to modify your RSVP. Learn More.

[Meeting Notice] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - September 20 UTC 1AM (zoom id : 229373941)

Sanil Kumar
 

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Sep 20, 2019 01:00 AM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/229373941

Meeting agenda is here:

[Please free to suggest topics]

Note: Today we noted that members from china experiencing some issues with zoom connectivity. Please try to connect. We will observe and discuss to find some alternate options soon, if the issue continues.

Additional Info on the meeting:
OpenSDS Project is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: [OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Friday Biweekly 1am to 2am UTC
Time: Sep 20, 2019 01:00 AM Universal Time UTC
        Every 2 weeks on Fri, until Dec 27, 2019, 8 occurrence(s)
        Sep 20, 2019 01:00 AM
        Oct 4, 2019 01:00 AM
        Oct 18, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 1, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 15, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 29, 2019 01:00 AM
        Dec 13, 2019 01:00 AM
        Dec 27, 2019 01:00 AM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/v5YkdO6rpz8re4QNiemevZQdNHp8ymdSfw/ics?icsToken=7c907caf5fa3d1b447a58f41d1274a91af82d89500405f878a5ca2a5c9e42231

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/229373941

One tap mobile
+19294362866,,229373941# US (New York)
+16699006833,,229373941# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 229 373 941
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 7:56 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for attending the meeting today.
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
  • Design reviews

    • [OpenEBS-OpenSDS Integration] Initial Architecture Discussion - Kiran, OpenEBS

      • Introduction to OpenEBS (CAS)

      • OpenEBS as a north bound above OpenSDS CSI plugin and utilize opensds to connects heterogeneous storage backends

      • Enables to connect multiple backend storage from different vendors

      • Single node setup with opensds has been tested

      • NDM can provide storage infrastructure provisioning automation - this can be another usecase/value

      • Amit & Harshita can give a demo in the next call

      • Slide link attached.

    • [Multicloud] - Design Update - ChinaUnicom/Fanny/Ashit

    • Documentation PoC based on Hugo - Anvith (follow up of last meeting)

      • Anvith provided the comparison between Hugo and readthedocs

      • Hugo has additional features and easy to get collaborative contributions for documentation, less build time, responsive pages, build preview for PRs, support for .md file directly (complete kubernetes website is in hugo)

      • Demo of Hugo setup with the new documentation.

      • Kiran mentioned about docs.rs (multiple version release easier here)

      • For Hugo, we may need to create a process to handle multiple versions of docs (Anvith to check and confirm)


  • Development issues

    • VMWare LUN Identification - Naju

      • Naju was not available.

      • However Kiran was mentioning, NDM from OpenEBS can help this issue.

      • Needs to discuss further.


Agenda & Meeting details at http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting 
Please add any topics of your interests there. Thanks
Note: Due to zoom connectivity issue, chinese members could not attend today's call.
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"



On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:29 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:

You can start using short-link for our document : http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting

[Please free to suggest topics]

Note: Today we noted that members from china experiencing some issues with zoom connectivity. Please try to connect. We will observe and discuss to find some alternate options soon, if the issue continues.

Additional Information on the meeting:
OpenSDS Project is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: [OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Tuesday Biweekly 1pm to 2pm UTC
Time: Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
        Every 2 weeks on Tue, until Dec 31, 2019, 9 occurrence(s)
        Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM
        Sep 24, 2019 01:00 PM
        Oct 8, 2019 01:00 PM
        Oct 22, 2019 01:00 PM
        Nov 5, 2019 01:00 PM
        Nov 19, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 3, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 17, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 31, 2019 01:00 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 8:08 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for attending the meeting today.
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • Design reviews

    • [Multi cloud-Migration : Click2Cloud] Demo for Progress feature and Updates on the MultiCloud Abort Features
      • Showed the demo for progress on multpart migration
      • Discussed on the abort, failed rollback, cost of rollback, giving option to user..
      • Action : Design to be updated with these scenarios and consider.
    • [DocRefactor : Joseph] Documentation Refactoring Design
  • Open discussions
    • [HelpNeeded] Supporting more backend storages
      • We need to have popular drivers support
      • Anyone can contribute/link, please contact sanil (skdsanil@... or slack) Thanks.
      • Simran from C2C mentioned that, they have some links or team can help
    • [HelpNeeded] VMware plugin Testing
      • Naju provided a quick update and shared the issues of VMWare LUN identification issue
      • Support for testing and issue solution related points will be sent out in the mailing list.

    The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)

  • Note: There is a section for topic suggestion for future meetings. Please add your requests.

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • [MultiCloud : ChinaUnicom(yu zou)/Fanny/Ashit ] Multicloud Design Refactoring - Key updates

    • What is new, architecture and how we plan to go about

    • Integration of YIG (YIG Ceph S3 added! And other features from YIG to multicloud)

    • We keep the current ceph s3 along with new yig ceph s3. User has the option to choose.

    • YIG team will merge the updated code to Gelato/Multicloud

    • Action : YIG features and new features can be segregated; table for support from different clouds and backend can be prepared.

    • Currently support TiDB first. 

    • [HelpNeeded] for MongoDB

    • [HelpNeeded]GCP Adapter can be refactored

    • IBM Cloud support - Need to check. Check with Rakesh.

    • DB Adapter separation should consider the microservice architecture. The communication between microservice is grpc

    • Action : Architecture diagram update and add to the existing design doc

  • The slides presented today is available at
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsulzsDrmwgAtme8MIO2LIoAIuAbsbMO/view?usp=sharing 
  • The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Aug 27, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:
[Please free to suggest topics]


Additional info:
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.


Agenda/Notes:

  • Design reviews

    • [Click2Cloud] Multi-Cloud Project enhancement (Abort Migration)

      • Click2Cloud discussed about Abort Migration feature.

      • Design is described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SoarTRLJTWuiiYoZ9IjfuE4TS2UA_G2T/view?usp=sharing

      • Approach 1 proposes to add an AbortMigration flag.

      • Status of each object should be tracked.  Roll back should happen if aborted.

      • Source object should not be deleted until all objects are migrated. This way it is easier to roll back.

      • Need a state machine to keep track of object status.

      • Aborted and Failed can share lots of common code path.

      • Consider using Redis for caching when it is added with YIG integration.

  • Development update

    • [Naju and Himanshu)] Naju gave an update on VMware vSphere Web Client integration.  Plugin will be named to “OpenSDS Storage Plugin”. Implemented for block storage create/attach operation.  Tested on LVM. Third party storage support can be added. Himanshu gave a demo to show how the plugin works.

    • Does this work with Hotpot multi-dock (one end-point)?  In theory it should work. Will need to verify. Also Hotpot multi-dock itself has bugs that need to be ironed out first.

    • Design spec will be updated.

  • Note: As mentioned in the previous meeting, Tuesday’s meetings will be rescheduled to 1:00pm-2:00pm UTC (6:00am-7:00am PT or 9:00am-10:00am ET).  Sanil will send out a new meeting invite.


Thanks,
Xing



On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting this week.

Time: August 21, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or August 22, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)


Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941


Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

Regarding community meeting (zoom)

Sanil Kumar
 

Dear Friends from China Community...
As we understand, you are unable to connect to zoom meetings. But, currently all community meetings are on zoom! 

Is there any alternate options or suggestions?  Let us discuss and see any good options to manage this. 

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"

[Minutes of Meeting] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - September 10, 2019

Sanil Kumar
 

Dear All,
Thanks a lot for attending the meeting today.
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
  • Design reviews

    • [OpenEBS-OpenSDS Integration] Initial Architecture Discussion - Kiran, OpenEBS

      • Introduction to OpenEBS (CAS)

      • OpenEBS as a north bound above OpenSDS CSI plugin and utilize opensds to connects heterogeneous storage backends

      • Enables to connect multiple backend storage from different vendors

      • Single node setup with opensds has been tested

      • NDM can provide storage infrastructure provisioning automation - this can be another usecase/value

      • Amit & Harshita can give a demo in the next call

      • Slide link attached.

    • [Multicloud] - Design Update - ChinaUnicom/Fanny/Ashit

    • Documentation PoC based on Hugo - Anvith (follow up of last meeting)

      • Anvith provided the comparison between Hugo and readthedocs

      • Hugo has additional features and easy to get collaborative contributions for documentation, less build time, responsive pages, build preview for PRs, support for .md file directly (complete kubernetes website is in hugo)

      • Demo of Hugo setup with the new documentation.

      • Kiran mentioned about docs.rs (multiple version release easier here)

      • For Hugo, we may need to create a process to handle multiple versions of docs (Anvith to check and confirm)


  • Development issues

    • VMWare LUN Identification - Naju

      • Naju was not available.

      • However Kiran was mentioning, NDM from OpenEBS can help this issue.

      • Needs to discuss further.


Agenda & Meeting details at http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting 
Please add any topics of your interests there. Thanks
Note: Due to zoom connectivity issue, chinese members could not attend today's call.
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"



On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:29 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:

You can start using short-link for our document : http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting

[Please free to suggest topics]

Note: Today we noted that members from china experiencing some issues with zoom connectivity. Please try to connect. We will observe and discuss to find some alternate options soon, if the issue continues.

Additional Information on the meeting:
OpenSDS Project is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: [OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Tuesday Biweekly 1pm to 2pm UTC
Time: Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
        Every 2 weeks on Tue, until Dec 31, 2019, 9 occurrence(s)
        Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM
        Sep 24, 2019 01:00 PM
        Oct 8, 2019 01:00 PM
        Oct 22, 2019 01:00 PM
        Nov 5, 2019 01:00 PM
        Nov 19, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 3, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 17, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 31, 2019 01:00 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 8:08 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for attending the meeting today.
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • Design reviews

    • [Multi cloud-Migration : Click2Cloud] Demo for Progress feature and Updates on the MultiCloud Abort Features
      • Showed the demo for progress on multpart migration
      • Discussed on the abort, failed rollback, cost of rollback, giving option to user..
      • Action : Design to be updated with these scenarios and consider.
    • [DocRefactor : Joseph] Documentation Refactoring Design
  • Open discussions
    • [HelpNeeded] Supporting more backend storages
      • We need to have popular drivers support
      • Anyone can contribute/link, please contact sanil (skdsanil@... or slack) Thanks.
      • Simran from C2C mentioned that, they have some links or team can help
    • [HelpNeeded] VMware plugin Testing
      • Naju provided a quick update and shared the issues of VMWare LUN identification issue
      • Support for testing and issue solution related points will be sent out in the mailing list.

    The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)

  • Note: There is a section for topic suggestion for future meetings. Please add your requests.

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • [MultiCloud : ChinaUnicom(yu zou)/Fanny/Ashit ] Multicloud Design Refactoring - Key updates

    • What is new, architecture and how we plan to go about

    • Integration of YIG (YIG Ceph S3 added! And other features from YIG to multicloud)

    • We keep the current ceph s3 along with new yig ceph s3. User has the option to choose.

    • YIG team will merge the updated code to Gelato/Multicloud

    • Action : YIG features and new features can be segregated; table for support from different clouds and backend can be prepared.

    • Currently support TiDB first. 

    • [HelpNeeded] for MongoDB

    • [HelpNeeded]GCP Adapter can be refactored

    • IBM Cloud support - Need to check. Check with Rakesh.

    • DB Adapter separation should consider the microservice architecture. The communication between microservice is grpc

    • Action : Architecture diagram update and add to the existing design doc

  • The slides presented today is available at
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsulzsDrmwgAtme8MIO2LIoAIuAbsbMO/view?usp=sharing 
  • The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Aug 27, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:
[Please free to suggest topics]


Additional info:
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.


Agenda/Notes:

  • Design reviews

    • [Click2Cloud] Multi-Cloud Project enhancement (Abort Migration)

      • Click2Cloud discussed about Abort Migration feature.

      • Design is described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SoarTRLJTWuiiYoZ9IjfuE4TS2UA_G2T/view?usp=sharing

      • Approach 1 proposes to add an AbortMigration flag.

      • Status of each object should be tracked.  Roll back should happen if aborted.

      • Source object should not be deleted until all objects are migrated. This way it is easier to roll back.

      • Need a state machine to keep track of object status.

      • Aborted and Failed can share lots of common code path.

      • Consider using Redis for caching when it is added with YIG integration.

  • Development update

    • [Naju and Himanshu)] Naju gave an update on VMware vSphere Web Client integration.  Plugin will be named to “OpenSDS Storage Plugin”. Implemented for block storage create/attach operation.  Tested on LVM. Third party storage support can be added. Himanshu gave a demo to show how the plugin works.

    • Does this work with Hotpot multi-dock (one end-point)?  In theory it should work. Will need to verify. Also Hotpot multi-dock itself has bugs that need to be ironed out first.

    • Design spec will be updated.

  • Note: As mentioned in the previous meeting, Tuesday’s meetings will be rescheduled to 1:00pm-2:00pm UTC (6:00am-7:00am PT or 9:00am-10:00am ET).  Sanil will send out a new meeting invite.


Thanks,
Xing



On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting this week.

Time: August 21, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or August 22, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)


Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941


Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

[Meeting Notice Reminder] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - September 10, 2019

Sanil Kumar
 

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:

You can start using short-link for our document : http://bit.ly/opensdstechmeeting

[Please free to suggest topics]

Note: Today we noted that members from china experiencing some issues with zoom connectivity. Please try to connect. We will observe and discuss to find some alternate options soon, if the issue continues.

Additional Information on the meeting:
OpenSDS Project is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: [OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Tuesday Biweekly 1pm to 2pm UTC
Time: Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
        Every 2 weeks on Tue, until Dec 31, 2019, 9 occurrence(s)
        Sep 10, 2019 01:00 PM
        Sep 24, 2019 01:00 PM
        Oct 8, 2019 01:00 PM
        Oct 22, 2019 01:00 PM
        Nov 5, 2019 01:00 PM
        Nov 19, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 3, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 17, 2019 01:00 PM
        Dec 31, 2019 01:00 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 8:08 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for attending the meeting today.
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • Design reviews

    • [Multi cloud-Migration : Click2Cloud] Demo for Progress feature and Updates on the MultiCloud Abort Features
      • Showed the demo for progress on multpart migration
      • Discussed on the abort, failed rollback, cost of rollback, giving option to user..
      • Action : Design to be updated with these scenarios and consider.
    • [DocRefactor : Joseph] Documentation Refactoring Design
  • Open discussions
    • [HelpNeeded] Supporting more backend storages
      • We need to have popular drivers support
      • Anyone can contribute/link, please contact sanil (skdsanil@... or slack) Thanks.
      • Simran from C2C mentioned that, they have some links or team can help
    • [HelpNeeded] VMware plugin Testing
      • Naju provided a quick update and shared the issues of VMWare LUN identification issue
      • Support for testing and issue solution related points will be sent out in the mailing list.

    The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)

  • Note: There is a section for topic suggestion for future meetings. Please add your requests.

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • [MultiCloud : ChinaUnicom(yu zou)/Fanny/Ashit ] Multicloud Design Refactoring - Key updates

    • What is new, architecture and how we plan to go about

    • Integration of YIG (YIG Ceph S3 added! And other features from YIG to multicloud)

    • We keep the current ceph s3 along with new yig ceph s3. User has the option to choose.

    • YIG team will merge the updated code to Gelato/Multicloud

    • Action : YIG features and new features can be segregated; table for support from different clouds and backend can be prepared.

    • Currently support TiDB first. 

    • [HelpNeeded] for MongoDB

    • [HelpNeeded]GCP Adapter can be refactored

    • IBM Cloud support - Need to check. Check with Rakesh.

    • DB Adapter separation should consider the microservice architecture. The communication between microservice is grpc

    • Action : Architecture diagram update and add to the existing design doc

  • The slides presented today is available at
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsulzsDrmwgAtme8MIO2LIoAIuAbsbMO/view?usp=sharing 
  • The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Aug 27, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:
[Please free to suggest topics]


Additional info:
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.


Agenda/Notes:

  • Design reviews

    • [Click2Cloud] Multi-Cloud Project enhancement (Abort Migration)

      • Click2Cloud discussed about Abort Migration feature.

      • Design is described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SoarTRLJTWuiiYoZ9IjfuE4TS2UA_G2T/view?usp=sharing

      • Approach 1 proposes to add an AbortMigration flag.

      • Status of each object should be tracked.  Roll back should happen if aborted.

      • Source object should not be deleted until all objects are migrated. This way it is easier to roll back.

      • Need a state machine to keep track of object status.

      • Aborted and Failed can share lots of common code path.

      • Consider using Redis for caching when it is added with YIG integration.

  • Development update

    • [Naju and Himanshu)] Naju gave an update on VMware vSphere Web Client integration.  Plugin will be named to “OpenSDS Storage Plugin”. Implemented for block storage create/attach operation.  Tested on LVM. Third party storage support can be added. Himanshu gave a demo to show how the plugin works.

    • Does this work with Hotpot multi-dock (one end-point)?  In theory it should work. Will need to verify. Also Hotpot multi-dock itself has bugs that need to be ironed out first.

    • Design spec will be updated.

  • Note: As mentioned in the previous meeting, Tuesday’s meetings will be rescheduled to 1:00pm-2:00pm UTC (6:00am-7:00am PT or 9:00am-10:00am ET).  Sanil will send out a new meeting invite.


Thanks,
Xing



On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting this week.

Time: August 21, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or August 22, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)


Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941


Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

How To Test NBP VMware Plugin with OpenSDS

Najmudheen
 

Hello All,
As discussed in todays community meeting I am sharing the steps to be followed to test Vmware Plugin with Opensds.

How to Test Vmware Plugin: Github PR https://github.com/opensds/nbp/pull/249
-------------------------------
2. Skip step 3 and 4  If you already have Vmware environment as below
a) one or more ESXi servers
b) Vcenter server connected to ESX.
5. How to build vmware Plugin package
7. How to test Plugin from Vsphere Web client, watch video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xydAz2EWeTOYaxHMA26CzjaQpIobFk5Q/view
Thanks,
Naju.

Re: Goodbye

Najmudheen
 

Dear Xing,
It was  great working with you. You had guided us and created oppertunities to learn and grow.
Thanks and All the best for the future.
Keep in touch .
Thanks,
Naju.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,


I want to let you know that I won’t be involved in OpenSDS any more due to a career change.  OpenSDS community has grown a lot since I joined at the end of 2017.  We had 4 releases (Zealand, Aruba, Bali, and Capri) and built lots of new features.   We have an amazing developer community and a great end user community.  I am so proud of the achievement we’ve made so far.


Although I won’t be working on OpenSDS any more, I will still be in the open source community.   I’m sure our paths will cross in the near future.  I think OpenSDS is at an exciting time as it is transitioning into SODA.  I look forward to hearing good news from SODA!  Thank you all for the great experience! 


Best regards,

Xing

Re: Goodbye

Ashit Kumar
 

Hi Xing,
It has always been wonderful to interact with you and get the technical guidance and support. Hope you keep giving inputs in future which can help us to achieve the SODA roadmap that you and other technical leaders have envisioned.
Wish you all the best for your future endeavors.

Thanks and regards
Ashit


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 11:40 AM Satya Gorli <satya.gorli@...> wrote:
Dear Xing
Thanks for your wonderful technical contribution to OpenSDS..
Wish you more successes for all your future endeavors

Thanks & Regards
SatyaG


On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:31 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,


I want to let you know that I won’t be involved in OpenSDS any more due to a career change.  OpenSDS community has grown a lot since I joined at the end of 2017.  We had 4 releases (Zealand, Aruba, Bali, and Capri) and built lots of new features.   We have an amazing developer community and a great end user community.  I am so proud of the achievement we’ve made so far.


Although I won’t be working on OpenSDS any more, I will still be in the open source community.   I’m sure our paths will cross in the near future.  I think OpenSDS is at an exciting time as it is transitioning into SODA.  I look forward to hearing good news from SODA!  Thank you all for the great experience! 


Best regards,

Xing

Re: Goodbye

himanshu varshney
 

Dear Xing,

It was great working with you. There was a great learning and guidance. I am sure our paths will cross again in the future.

Thank You
Himanshu

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 11:40 AM Satya Gorli <satya.gorli@...> wrote:
Dear Xing
Thanks for your wonderful technical contribution to OpenSDS..
Wish you more successes for all your future endeavors

Thanks & Regards
SatyaG


On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:31 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,


I want to let you know that I won’t be involved in OpenSDS any more due to a career change.  OpenSDS community has grown a lot since I joined at the end of 2017.  We had 4 releases (Zealand, Aruba, Bali, and Capri) and built lots of new features.   We have an amazing developer community and a great end user community.  I am so proud of the achievement we’ve made so far.


Although I won’t be working on OpenSDS any more, I will still be in the open source community.   I’m sure our paths will cross in the near future.  I think OpenSDS is at an exciting time as it is transitioning into SODA.  I look forward to hearing good news from SODA!  Thank you all for the great experience! 


Best regards,

Xing

Re: Goodbye

Satya Gorli
 

Dear Xing
Thanks for your wonderful technical contribution to OpenSDS..
Wish you more successes for all your future endeavors

Thanks & Regards
SatyaG


On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:31 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,


I want to let you know that I won’t be involved in OpenSDS any more due to a career change.  OpenSDS community has grown a lot since I joined at the end of 2017.  We had 4 releases (Zealand, Aruba, Bali, and Capri) and built lots of new features.   We have an amazing developer community and a great end user community.  I am so proud of the achievement we’ve made so far.


Although I won’t be working on OpenSDS any more, I will still be in the open source community.   I’m sure our paths will cross in the near future.  I think OpenSDS is at an exciting time as it is transitioning into SODA.  I look forward to hearing good news from SODA!  Thank you all for the great experience! 


Best regards,

Xing

[Minutes of Meeting] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - September 6, 2019

Sanil Kumar
 

Dear All,
Thanks a lot for attending the meeting today.
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • Design reviews

    • [Multi cloud-Migration : Click2Cloud] Demo for Progress feature and Updates on the MultiCloud Abort Features
      • Showed the demo for progress on multpart migration
      • Discussed on the abort, failed rollback, cost of rollback, giving option to user..
      • Action : Design to be updated with these scenarios and consider.
    • [DocRefactor : Joseph] Documentation Refactoring Design
  • Open discussions
    • [HelpNeeded] Supporting more backend storages
      • We need to have popular drivers support
      • Anyone can contribute/link, please contact sanil (skdsanil@... or slack) Thanks.
      • Simran from C2C mentioned that, they have some links or team can help
    • [HelpNeeded] VMware plugin Testing
      • Naju provided a quick update and shared the issues of VMWare LUN identification issue
      • Support for testing and issue solution related points will be sent out in the mailing list.

    The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)

  • Note: There is a section for topic suggestion for future meetings. Please add your requests.

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:
Dear All,
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • [MultiCloud : ChinaUnicom(yu zou)/Fanny/Ashit ] Multicloud Design Refactoring - Key updates

    • What is new, architecture and how we plan to go about

    • Integration of YIG (YIG Ceph S3 added! And other features from YIG to multicloud)

    • We keep the current ceph s3 along with new yig ceph s3. User has the option to choose.

    • YIG team will merge the updated code to Gelato/Multicloud

    • Action : YIG features and new features can be segregated; table for support from different clouds and backend can be prepared.

    • Currently support TiDB first. 

    • [HelpNeeded] for MongoDB

    • [HelpNeeded]GCP Adapter can be refactored

    • IBM Cloud support - Need to check. Check with Rakesh.

    • DB Adapter separation should consider the microservice architecture. The communication between microservice is grpc

    • Action : Architecture diagram update and add to the existing design doc

  • The slides presented today is available at
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsulzsDrmwgAtme8MIO2LIoAIuAbsbMO/view?usp=sharing 
  • The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Aug 27, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:
[Please free to suggest topics]


Additional info:
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.


Agenda/Notes:

  • Design reviews

    • [Click2Cloud] Multi-Cloud Project enhancement (Abort Migration)

      • Click2Cloud discussed about Abort Migration feature.

      • Design is described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SoarTRLJTWuiiYoZ9IjfuE4TS2UA_G2T/view?usp=sharing

      • Approach 1 proposes to add an AbortMigration flag.

      • Status of each object should be tracked.  Roll back should happen if aborted.

      • Source object should not be deleted until all objects are migrated. This way it is easier to roll back.

      • Need a state machine to keep track of object status.

      • Aborted and Failed can share lots of common code path.

      • Consider using Redis for caching when it is added with YIG integration.

  • Development update

    • [Naju and Himanshu)] Naju gave an update on VMware vSphere Web Client integration.  Plugin will be named to “OpenSDS Storage Plugin”. Implemented for block storage create/attach operation.  Tested on LVM. Third party storage support can be added. Himanshu gave a demo to show how the plugin works.

    • Does this work with Hotpot multi-dock (one end-point)?  In theory it should work. Will need to verify. Also Hotpot multi-dock itself has bugs that need to be ironed out first.

    • Design spec will be updated.

  • Note: As mentioned in the previous meeting, Tuesday’s meetings will be rescheduled to 1:00pm-2:00pm UTC (6:00am-7:00am PT or 9:00am-10:00am ET).  Sanil will send out a new meeting invite.


Thanks,
Xing



On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting this week.

Time: August 21, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or August 22, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)


Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941


Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

Re: Goodbye

Sanil Kumar
 

Dear Xing,
It was great working with you. Though it got a pause, looking forward to work with you again. 
Within this short duration of association, I understand the immense technical contribution that you made to this project. Your technical leadership helped the project to achieve the current level as you mentioned. We are going through a very positive and exciting transition to SODA....we will miss you!
Thank you for all the contribution. Also the support from the day we joined this project.
btb, you can still contribute by reviewing our design and PRs when you get time ;)

Wish you all the very best!
Hope to meet you at conferences....
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,


I want to let you know that I won’t be involved in OpenSDS any more due to a career change.  OpenSDS community has grown a lot since I joined at the end of 2017.  We had 4 releases (Zealand, Aruba, Bali, and Capri) and built lots of new features.   We have an amazing developer community and a great end user community.  I am so proud of the achievement we’ve made so far.


Although I won’t be working on OpenSDS any more, I will still be in the open source community.   I’m sure our paths will cross in the near future.  I think OpenSDS is at an exciting time as it is transitioning into SODA.  I look forward to hearing good news from SODA!  Thank you all for the great experience! 


Best regards,

Xing

Re: Goodbye

wanghui71leon@...
 

Thanks Xing for making huge contribution in OpenSDS community, and it couldn’t be more admirable for your ability and passion, wish you being better in new career.

BRs,
Leon

Xing Yang <xingyang105@...>于2019年9月6日 周五04:31写道:

Hi everyone,


I want to let you know that I won’t be involved in OpenSDS any more due to a career change.  OpenSDS community has grown a lot since I joined at the end of 2017.  We had 4 releases (Zealand, Aruba, Bali, and Capri) and built lots of new features.   We have an amazing developer community and a great end user community.  I am so proud of the achievement we’ve made so far.


Although I won’t be working on OpenSDS any more, I will still be in the open source community.   I’m sure our paths will cross in the near future.  I think OpenSDS is at an exciting time as it is transitioning into SODA.  I look forward to hearing good news from SODA!  Thank you all for the great experience! 


Best regards,

Xing

Goodbye

Xing Yang
 

Hi everyone,


I want to let you know that I won’t be involved in OpenSDS any more due to a career change.  OpenSDS community has grown a lot since I joined at the end of 2017.  We had 4 releases (Zealand, Aruba, Bali, and Capri) and built lots of new features.   We have an amazing developer community and a great end user community.  I am so proud of the achievement we’ve made so far.


Although I won’t be working on OpenSDS any more, I will still be in the open source community.   I’m sure our paths will cross in the near future.  I think OpenSDS is at an exciting time as it is transitioning into SODA.  I look forward to hearing good news from SODA!  Thank you all for the great experience! 


Best regards,

Xing

OpenSDS Technical Meeting Notice - September 6, 2019, 1 AM UTC [Zoom ID : 229-373-941]

Sanil Kumar
 

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: September 6, 2019, 1 AM UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/229373941  

Meeting agenda is here:

Please note that I have added one section in the agenda sheet for future topics of interest. Please feel free to add or inform me. Thanks,

Additional Meeting Information:
OpenSDS Project is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: [OpenSDS Technical Meeting Invitation] Friday Biweekly 1am to 2am UTC
Time: Sep 6, 2019 01:00 AM Universal Time UTC
        Every 2 weeks on Fri, until Dec 27, 2019, 9 occurrence(s)
        Sep 6, 2019 01:00 AM
        Sep 20, 2019 01:00 AM
        Oct 4, 2019 01:00 AM
        Oct 18, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 1, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 15, 2019 01:00 AM
        Nov 29, 2019 01:00 AM
        Dec 13, 2019 01:00 AM
        Dec 27, 2019 01:00 AM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/v5YkdO6rpz8re4QNiemevZQdNHp8ymdSfw/ics?icsToken=7c907caf5fa3d1b447a58f41d1274a91af82d89500405f878a5ca2a5c9e42231

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/229373941

One tap mobile
+19294362866,,229373941# US (New York)
+16699006833,,229373941# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 229 373 941
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Aug 27, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:
[Please free to suggest topics]


Additional info:
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.


Agenda/Notes:

  • Design reviews

    • [Click2Cloud] Multi-Cloud Project enhancement (Abort Migration)

      • Click2Cloud discussed about Abort Migration feature.

      • Design is described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SoarTRLJTWuiiYoZ9IjfuE4TS2UA_G2T/view?usp=sharing

      • Approach 1 proposes to add an AbortMigration flag.

      • Status of each object should be tracked.  Roll back should happen if aborted.

      • Source object should not be deleted until all objects are migrated. This way it is easier to roll back.

      • Need a state machine to keep track of object status.

      • Aborted and Failed can share lots of common code path.

      • Consider using Redis for caching when it is added with YIG integration.

  • Development update

    • [Naju and Himanshu)] Naju gave an update on VMware vSphere Web Client integration.  Plugin will be named to “OpenSDS Storage Plugin”. Implemented for block storage create/attach operation.  Tested on LVM. Third party storage support can be added. Himanshu gave a demo to show how the plugin works.

    • Does this work with Hotpot multi-dock (one end-point)?  In theory it should work. Will need to verify. Also Hotpot multi-dock itself has bugs that need to be ironed out first.

    • Design spec will be updated.

  • Note: As mentioned in the previous meeting, Tuesday’s meetings will be rescheduled to 1:00pm-2:00pm UTC (6:00am-7:00am PT or 9:00am-10:00am ET).  Sanil will send out a new meeting invite.


Thanks,
Xing



On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting this week.

Time: August 21, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or August 22, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)


Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941


Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing

Re: [Minutes of Meeting] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - August 27, 2019

Xing Yang
 

Just to clarify.  User has two choices.  1. Use YIG.  In this case, Ceph radosgw is enhanced by YIG so it is no longer the same.  2. Use Ceph object store as the way it is.  Ceph radosgw remains the same.


On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 4:53 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Ceph radosgw is enhanced by YIG so it is no longer the same.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 4:40 PM Steven Tan <steven.tan@...> wrote:
Are we making any changes to the Ceph radosgw, or using as is?

Steven Tan

VP & CTO Cloud Solution, Storage

Linux Foundation OpenSDS TSC Chair 

email: steven.tan@...

twitter: stevenphtan


This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information from Futurewei/Huawei, which are intended only for the person or entity whose email address appears above. Any use of the information attached or contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or any unapproved dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or response email immediately and delete this original message.



From: Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:01 AM
To: Xing Yang <xing.yang@...>
Cc: Opensds-tech-discuss@... <Opensds-tech-discuss@...>; Steven Tan <steven.tan@...>
Subject: Re: [Opensds-tech-discuss] [Minutes of Meeting] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - August 27, 2019
 
+some points to Xing. 
(Thanks Ashit)

Ceph (radosgw)

YIG (Yet another Index Gateway)

S3 and Swift compatible Object Storage Gateway

S3 compatible Object Storage Gateway

Performance impact while storing small files

Uses KV store to overcome small file storage issue

Performance impact for read and write of large files

Overcome read write issue of large files using optimized libradosstripper API

Not so scalable Ceph OSD nodes

Using write consistency and dynamic buf it enables scaling of ceph OSD nodes


Avoids data movement and IO drop due o scale out clusters


Allows more than one ceph cluster to work together and extend the storage pool capacity

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 10:58 PM Xing Yang <xing.yang@...> wrote:
"Ceph" uses Ceph's original S3 gateway.  "YIG S3" uses enhanced Ceph S3 gateway from YIG.  The plan is to keep both so user have two choices.

From: Opensds-tech-discuss@... <Opensds-tech-discuss@...> on behalf of Steven Tan via Lists.Opensds.Io <steven.tan=futurewei.com@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:00 PM
To: skdsanil@... <skdsanil@...>; Opensds-tech-discuss@... <Opensds-tech-discuss@...>
Cc: Opensds-tech-discuss@... <Opensds-tech-discuss@...>
Subject: Re: [Opensds-tech-discuss] [Minutes of Meeting] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - August 27, 2019
 
What are the differences between Ceph and YIG S3?

Steven Tan
VP & CTO Cloud Solution, Storage
OpenSDS TSC Chairman
————————————————————————
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information from Futurewei/Huawei, which are intended only for the person or entity whose email address appears above. Any use of the information attached or contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or any unapproved dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or response email immediately and delete this original message.

From: Opensds-tech-discuss@... <Opensds-tech-discuss@...> on behalf of Sanil Kumar via Lists.Opensds.Io <skdsanil=gmail.com@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:25:14 AM
To: opensds-tech-discuss@... <opensds-tech-discuss@...>
Cc: Opensds-tech-discuss@... <Opensds-tech-discuss@...>
Subject: [Opensds-tech-discuss] [Minutes of Meeting] OpenSDS Technical Meeting - August 27, 2019
 
Dear All,
Please find the the key updates of today's technical meeting.
Topic Discussed:
  • [MultiCloud : ChinaUnicom(yu zou)/Fanny/Ashit ] Multicloud Design Refactoring - Key updates

    • What is new, architecture and how we plan to go about

    • Integration of YIG (YIG Ceph S3 added! And other features from YIG to multicloud)

    • We keep the current ceph s3 along with new yig ceph s3. User has the option to choose.

    • YIG team will merge the updated code to Gelato/Multicloud

    • Action : YIG features and new features can be segregated; table for support from different clouds and backend can be prepared.

    • Currently support TiDB first. 

    • [HelpNeeded] for MongoDB

    • [HelpNeeded]GCP Adapter can be refactored

    • IBM Cloud support - Need to check. Check with Rakesh.

    • DB Adapter separation should consider the microservice architecture. The communication between microservice is grpc

    • Action : Architecture diagram update and add to the existing design doc

  • The slides presented today is available at
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsulzsDrmwgAtme8MIO2LIoAIuAbsbMO/view?usp=sharing 
  • The MoM of today's meeting and agenda for the next meeting available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JlxAAOtvZvvf_KhVr8XQa6mUD7lkHOXlxuGruTKEukE/edit# (You can suggest meeting topics for next meetings there)
- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Sanil Kumar <skdsanil@...> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the meeting information for next OpenSDS technical meeting
Time: Aug 27, 2019 01:00 PM Universal Time UTC
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/777978108

Meeting agenda is here:
[Please free to suggest topics]


Additional info:
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Weekly: https://zoom.us/meeting/upMqfu6grzsit2MOj5WStzsoRXLYq_gSgQ/ics?icsToken=292ae42cfcf6f4b639bb21c89e15e2a736567d31908a994a8e2988f6819247c0

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,777978108# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,777978108# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 777 978 108
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acN4guPFkJ

- 
Thanks and Regards
Sanil.
"Lets make things simple and better, today, tomorrow and always!"


On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:

Thank you for attending today's technical meeting. Here are the meeting minutes.


Agenda/Notes:

  • Design reviews

    • [Click2Cloud] Multi-Cloud Project enhancement (Abort Migration)

      • Click2Cloud discussed about Abort Migration feature.

      • Design is described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SoarTRLJTWuiiYoZ9IjfuE4TS2UA_G2T/view?usp=sharing

      • Approach 1 proposes to add an AbortMigration flag.

      • Status of each object should be tracked.  Roll back should happen if aborted.

      • Source object should not be deleted until all objects are migrated. This way it is easier to roll back.

      • Need a state machine to keep track of object status.

      • Aborted and Failed can share lots of common code path.

      • Consider using Redis for caching when it is added with YIG integration.

  • Development update

    • [Naju and Himanshu)] Naju gave an update on VMware vSphere Web Client integration.  Plugin will be named to “OpenSDS Storage Plugin”. Implemented for block storage create/attach operation.  Tested on LVM. Third party storage support can be added. Himanshu gave a demo to show how the plugin works.

    • Does this work with Hotpot multi-dock (one end-point)?  In theory it should work. Will need to verify. Also Hotpot multi-dock itself has bugs that need to be ironed out first.

    • Design spec will be updated.

  • Note: As mentioned in the previous meeting, Tuesday’s meetings will be rescheduled to 1:00pm-2:00pm UTC (6:00am-7:00am PT or 9:00am-10:00am ET).  Sanil will send out a new meeting invite.


Thanks,
Xing



On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Xing Yang <xingyang105@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we will have the OpenSDS Technical meeting this week.

Time: August 21, 2019 Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm PT or 9:00pm-10:00pm ET (or August 22, 2019 Friday 1:00am-2:00am UTC)


Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/229373941


Meeting agenda is here:

Please add any item you want to discuss in the agenda doc.

Thanks,
Xing